Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

May Reading

 Here's a quick recap of my May reading:

I always start my day with reading my scriptures. Seriously, I have done I pretty good job with establishing this habit, and I would say that about 90 -95%of the time, I read my scriptures in the morning.  In the Bible, I am currently reading the "Minor Prophets" and the month of May found me reading Hosea, Joel and Jonah.  I am now almost finished with Micah.  I always annotate what I read, so my scriptures have a lot of writing and highlighting in them.  

My non-scriptural reading in May started with this novel, Little Fires Everywhere.  I found this book to be pretty intense, and as I was reading it, I couldn't decide if I liked it or not. Ultimately, I realized that this is a book about mothers and motherhood.  As mothers, we all love our children, and we honestly think we are doing the best things we possibly can for our children.  Sometimes what we do as mother is the best thing, and sometimes, because we are human, what we do turns into a disaster.  That's the basic theme of this book, which I decided that I did like after all.  I gave it 4 out of 5 stars **** on Goodreads.  

The next book I read in May was How Happiness Happens by Max Lucado.  I liked this nonfiction book, that was a quick and easy read with lots of good thoughts about happiness.  Max Lucado is a Christian author, and there were scriptural stories and references throughout the book, but it was not preachy or dogmatic.  Everything in the book was scientifically and psychologically based. This book got another 4 out of 5 **** stars on Goodreads. 

The next book, was Home Safe by Elizabeth Berg.  I had read another book by Elizabeth Berg, The Art of Mending, which I thought was pretty good.  Home Safe,  in my opinion, was not.  I only gave Hame Safe 2 out of 5 stars ** on Goodreads.  I found the characters in the book were cliche, static and flat. The book jumped around a lot, and basically just seemed to be lacking in plot.  Needless to say, this book was not my favorite.  I may read another Elizabeth Berg book, but not right away.

The last book I read in May was Dark Agenda - The War to Destroy Christian America by David Horowitz.  I heard a podcast by the author and the book was mentioned and sounded intriguing.  I tend to be politically moderate and centrist, and I am not a conspiracy theorist, but this book was very interesting, and a little troubling, to me. It explains a lot about how the current political divisiveness in our country came about.  I will say that I didn't not agree with every one of the author's points, but overall, the book seemed to be well-documented and historically accurate, with footnotes and references.  It is probably something that every believing Christian should read and at least consider.  I gave it 4 out of 5 stars **** on Goodreads.  

Those were the books I read in May.  I am starting June with both a biography and a nonfiction book, because I am usually reading at least two books at a time.  What did you read in May? What are you reading now?

Thanks for stopping by.  See you again soon.

😊Deb💜

"Reading is a way for me to expand my mind, open my eyes and fill up my heart."
~ Oprah Winfrey










Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar