Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

The Berry Bridge

Here in Smalltownland we are rich in many things. Interesting people, beautiful landscapes, and a slow pace make for a good life. Our county is incredibly rich in history and there are so many places to explore and investigate. We recently happened upon the Berry Bridge. Maybe I should not use the words, "happened upon", as it really is quite out of the way.

Built in 1908, it opened with much fanfare as you can tell from this historical photograph. I can't believe those men climbed up on top of those rails.... I do wish it was still customary for people to wear hats, such as those in this photo.




It was constructed out of iron and wood. I can only imagine the great convenience it provided back in its day. Bridging a connection from one portion of the county to another, and providing easier access to Smalltownland for many. Before its construction, a ferry took people, and their parcels, across the river. In 1981 it was deemed unsafe for travel. We walked down a portion of the road to the bridge and it was incredibly peaceful.





As you can see, it has deteriorated quite a bit. The wooden floor of the bridge is mostly gone and some of the iron is incredibly thin.


It was strangely beautiful.




A fine piece of history.



Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar